Start Date: 5/4/2017
End Date: 5/31/2017
Assistant Training Supervisor – Student Transportation
Omaha Public Schools
$20.20 / per hour
Student Transportation Center
Primary responsibilities include assisting the Driver/Trainer Supervisor in the overall management of OPS Driver Training, including but not limited to conducting driver training and orientation, maintaining all pertinent driver and aide credentials, assisting in coordination of investigation and settlement of accidents.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- High school diploma or equivalency.
- Must hold a valid Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) and Driver’s License in good standing or have the ability to obtain and maintain a valid Commercial Driver’s License (CDL).
- Demonstrated ability to prepare staff for obtaining CDL Driver’s License, includes being knowledgeable of driver testing and the criteria needed to obtain license.
- Minimum of three to five years experience in CDL training.
- Experience and knowledge in training adult learners.
- Knowledge of U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT) regulations.
- Familiarity with all written CDL testing requirements including walk around process.
- Ability to demonstrate and operate wheelchair tie downs, car seats and harness installation.
- Successful completion of pre-employment functional capacity evaluation and the United States Department of Transportation required physical & drug/alcohol screening.
- Successful completion of the Student Transportation Bus Driver Training Program including – NE DMV – Commercial Driver’s License (CDL); NE DMV – School Bus Driver’s permit and First Aid/ CPR training.
- Evidence of understanding and willingness to comply with the practices and procedures cited in the Handbook for Transportation Employees.
- Demonstrated ability to display effective organization and general office skills.
- Demonstrated proficiency with MS Office 365 and ability to prepare multi-media training presentations to groups.
- Ability to serve as a positive role model for youth.
- Meets regular and predictable attendance requirements.
- Must maintain a safe driving record.
- Must meet OPS insurability requirements.
- Sensitivity and ability to interact with students, co-workers, teachers, administrators, other staff, and parents of other cultures and backgrounds.
- Ability to lift up to 50 pounds on a regular basis.
- Ability to interact with students in a courteous, professional manner.
- Ability to hear and follow directions.
- Ability to read and interpret numbers and visual displays.
- Ability to stand, bend, kneel, stoop and maintain balance while performing job related tasks.
- Ability to sit for periods longer than one hour.
- Ability to engage in moderate physical activities (moving objects or persons, at times exerting force equal to lifting fifty pounds.
Location: Student Transportation Center
Reports to: Training Supervisor
Work Schedule: 261 days, 12-month
Salary Schedule: S07/83D $20.20 per hour
Hours to Work: 8.0 hours per day, Monday through Friday
- Assist in the training for bus drivers and bus aides: First Aid and CPR, CDL License, Aide Refresher, and Wheelchair Training, CDL Tester, and Accident Refresher Training.
- Instructs drivers in accordance with the Nebraska school bus drivers training program.
- Serves as a resource for drivers regarding safe driving practices, rules of the road, state and federal laws and regulations pertaining to student transportation.
- Ensures that all drivers’ records and employment status is current and up-to-date in accordance with the Department of Motor Vehicles.
- Follows and maintains knowledge of all District policies and procedures and Student Transportation.
- Maintains thorough working knowledge of all laws, procedures and regulations governing school bus drivers and student transportation.
- Facilitates ride-alongs and observes drivers to ensure that all safety rules and regulations are adhered to on consistent basis.
- Serve as substitute driver for school bus routes, as needed.
- Operates District buses during training and/or demonstrations.
- Fills out appropriate log(s), forms and paperwork, as required.
- Completes all required reports on a timely basis.
- Interacts thoughtfully and courteously with students, staff and parents.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
* NOTE: The statements herein are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed, as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified.