Start Date: 1/13/2017
Journeyman Vehicle Mechanic
Omaha Public Schools
$22.77 – $23.87/ per hour
- High school diploma or equivalent required.
- Post-high school training in the mechanic field, preferred.
- Minimum of six years full time commercial mechanic experience as evidence of technical skill mastery. Technical school degree may substitute for some experience.
- Experience in diagnosing and repairing diesel and gasoline electronic and mechanical systems required.
- Automatic transmission repair experience is preferred.
- Skills to inspect, repair and maintain school bus fleet.
- Valid driver’s license and good driving record.
- CDL or the willingness and ability to obtain a CDL.
- Must meet the insurability requirements of the school district’s carrier.
- Must be able to engage in heavy physical activities (exerting force equal to a minimum of 100 pounds).
- Must be able to stand for long periods of time, kneel, reach, stoop and walk while maintaining body
balance in performance of job-related tasks.
- Must be able to gather and interpret sensory information (vision, hearing, olfactory, and touch) related to
the performance of duties.
- Must successfully complete a pre-employment assessment of physical abilities related to the position.
The assessment will be arranged by OPS.
Location: Student Transportation Center, 3833 North 72 Street, Omaha, NE 68134-4407
Reports to: Director of Transportation
Work Schedule: Monday-Friday/12-months
Salary Schedule: $22.77 per hour (probationary rate of pay); $23.87 per hour (after six-months probationary period)
Hours to Work: 8
- Will diagnose problems and repair vehicles, motorized and non-motorized equipment with minimal supervision using all necessary tools, instruments, devices and machinery.
- Will perform repairs in the shop and from mobile service vehicle, as appropriate.
- Will safely tow disabled vehicles to the transportation center using the district’s service/tow vehicle.
- Will road test repaired vehicles and test the performance of repaired motorized equipment to assure safe and reliable operation before releasing them for use.
- Will perform job duties efficiently and complete tasks in a timely manner.
- Will exhibit reliable judgment and follow all necessary precautions to assure the safety of self and others.
- Will demonstrate responsibility in preserving the material assets of the school district.
- Will maintain accurate and confidential work and inventory records.
- Will complete trade-related tasks as assigned by the Vehicle Maintenance Supervisor or Lead Mechanic.
- Will maintain positive working relationships with fellow employees.
- Will maintain satisfactory attendance and productivity.
* NOTE: The statements herein are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed, as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified.